Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Summertime and the Eatin' is Easy

Sorry, sorry, sorry. I’ve been absent for far too long. Between Father’s Day, a mini family reunion, swim lessons, and my hubby’s birthday, I feel like I’ve been treading water for weeks and am just now catching my breath. But what a time to stop and breathe, as it is week six and I have a new box of yumminess to talk about. Today’s bounty includes baby potatoes, garlic, pole beans, okra, basil, cucumbers, blueberries, plus the first corn and tomatoes of the season. It sure is looking and smelling like summer CSA season around here!

Let’s start by talking about the cucumbers. This is the third box with cucumbers and I have gotten A LOT of them. I have cut up and tossed some into salads, but have also used some to make a yummy cucumber salad and a chilled cucumber and mint soup. This week, to also make use of the tomatoes, I’ll be whipping up a simple cucumber, tomato and onion salad. I don’t have a real recipe for this, but I’ll give you the basics of how I toss it together at the end of the post. If any of you want the other cuke recipes, I’ll be happy to post those as well.

We are planning a Low Country Boil for the 4th and the potatoes and corn will be tossed into that pot. My son did sample some of the corn tonight and gave it two toddler thumbs up. He has also made a huge dent in the blueberries… grabbing handfuls at a time and running away with them. If we have any left, I’m thinking blueberry shortcakes to complete our holiday feast. Of course, that does mean making sure we save some of those plump berries until Sunday and I’m not sure we have that much self-control! If we make it, I’ll be sure to share the recipe.

As for the rest of it, I’m thinking more fresh, homemade pesto, fried okra and green beans sautéed with shallots and toasted pecans. Ah, the joys of summer eating :)

Tomato, Cucumber and Onion Salad
(This is great with Jerk Chicken and some yellow rice)
Cucumbers and tomatoes, roughly chunked
Red onion, thinly sliced
Fresh dill
Olive oil
Vinegar
Sugar
Salt and pepper
Combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onion and mint in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Pour over veggies and toss to coat. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.

Happy Eating!
Shar

No comments:

Post a Comment