Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mama, No More Zucchini!

When we decided to join the CSA my husband told me he thought it was great that we would be adopting a more European style of eating. We would be eating locally, seasonally and planning our meals around what we had (aka what came in our box) and not just what we felt like eating. Tomatoes in April? Sure. Strawberries in December? Why not. If we could afford it, it was available. Not so anymore. What we get is what’s ready for harvest and sometimes we get a lot of it. Isaac likes to tell me a story about when he was a child of about five and living in Italy. They were staying with some friends and it was zucchini season. One night, right before dinner, their hosts’ son looked up at his mother and pleaded, “Mama, no more zucchini.” I’m starting wonder if Isaac is secretly starting to feel this way about beets. Three weeks, threes boxes with beets. I’ve made them three different ways now and the cumin recipe I shared with you has been my favorite. Now should I find them in the next box, I’m sure I’ll be searching for recipe number four and maybe listening to my husband begging, “Honey, no more beets.”

The biggest surprise this week has been kale chips. Yep, kale chips. I saw a friend of a friend mention something about them and decided I had to try them. Everyone, including the toddler gobbled them down. They couldn’t be simpler: Tear the leafy part off the stems, toss with a little olive oil, spread out on a sheet pan lined with parchment, sprinkle with a little salt and bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. That’s it. The amount of cooking time will vary depending on the variety of kale. I used dinosaur kale and it took about 10 minutes. And it’s a good thing, because these things are addictive. Before the first batch was gone, I was already putting a second in the oven. Try it.

The last thing I want to share with you is Grilled Summer Squash Salad with Basil-Parmesan Dressing. I made this with the sweet little summer squash and leftover basil from this week's box. This is another recipe that couldn’t be much easier or tastier. I served it at room temperature and my husband mentioned that he’d be interested in trying it hot, too. If you make it that way, let me know how it is.

Grilled Summer Squash Salad with Basil-Parmesan Dressing
4 small to medium summer squash, trimmed and halved lengthwise
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
2 ½ tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush squash with about ½ tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill squash until tender and browned, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Cut squash diagonally into 1-inch pieces. Place in a large bowl. Add basil, Parmesan, balsamic vinegar and the remaining olive oil. Toss gently to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
Adapted from epicurious.com

Another week, another box on its way and I’ll tell you, with temperatures firmly in the 90s, I’m super ready for some summer veggies.

Happy Eating!
Shar

1 comment:

  1. Kale chips are the best. So simple and so tasty (not to mention good fer ya)! Haven't gotten any beets in our bunch but we just landed a handful of okra (which I'm dreading).

    ReplyDelete