Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Okra, Okra, Okra...

I keep thinking the okra is finished and it just keeps coming. I haven’t been keeping track but I bet I’ve gotten okra about seven weeks in a row. At first I dreaded it. I really only ate fried okra and, even though it was quite tasty, dealing with the mess of making it was not my favorite thing. So I decided to simplify. Guess what- I really like it just sautéed in a little olive oil with salt. If you’re wondering about the “slime”, I cut them into rounds and as long as you make sure they brown up a little it’s not a problem. When I feeling a little more adventurous I have an Indian spice mix I throw in at the end. I’ll post the recipe for the mix at the end of today’s post. Simple and yummy. Turns out okra is my kind of vegetable. I have also heard that it can be frozen, to be tossed into soups during my 22 CSA-free weeks (Oh, whatever shall I do?!) but since we’ve eaten all of ours I can’t tell you how it well it works. One last good thing about okra is that the toddler will eat it. But then again, today at Whole Foods he told me he liked broccoli, which I know is a lie, so I anticipate he’ll turn up his nose at this week’s okra offering. Two year olds. Good times. At least he’ll always eat fruit.

Fruit is a staple in our house. It’s a quick, easy, healthy snack and my son will always eat it. I think he ate his weight in blueberries this summer. The blueberry season is over, but now we’re getting apples and he loves those, too. I think it’s that he will walk to the fridge and, after he steals the fish sauce and runs away with it (he likes the fish on the label, not the actual sauce), come back and ask for an apple. Actually, since we’re really trying to keep our fridge healthy and “whole”, there isn’t much in there I won’t give him. He does occasionally ask to suck the ketchup out of the bottle and I do have to say “No” to that one. But he can have all the apples he wants. Except for the apples I intend to bake in a tart. This weekend is my birthday and I’m making myself an apple tart. I’ll post the recipe after I decide which one I’m going to use.

Speaking of recipes, let me tell you about one of my new favorites from this summer, Heirloom Tomato Salad with Peaches, Goat Cheese, and Pecans. Oh my goodness. Heavenly. I cannot stress enough how important it is to use only the best tomatoes in this dish. The flavor just explodes and mealy hot-house tomatoes aren’t gonna get the job done. So, splurge a little while tomatoes are still plentiful and make this salad. And make sure you use all the pecans. I was sprinkling mine on and thought it looked like an awful lot, so I left about half of them off. When I asked my husband how he liked it, he told me it was awesome but he wished it had more pecans. I was forced to admit that I had left some of and was dully chastised. So use your nuts, people.

Heirloom Tomatoes with Peaches, Goat Cheese and Pecans (from Southern Living)
1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large fresh peach, peeled and diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
About 2 lb. sliced heirloom tomatoes
3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
1/2 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Whisk together balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, brown sugar, olive oil, and salt. Stir in diced peach and chopped fresh basil. Spoon over sliced heirloom tomatoes; top with crumbled goat cheese and chopped toasted pecans. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper to taste.

Indian Spice Mix
3/4 teaspoon hot paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel seeds
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
Pinch of cinnamon
This will season about a pound of okra. Throw in for the last minute or so of cooking.

Happy Eating!
Shar

No comments:

Post a Comment